Surfing & Windsurfing/need fin for 19th board


fin box
fin box  
I have a Bic board from the 1980s that I'm hoping to use this summer.  The fin broke in a move and I've lost it.  In looking for a replacement online, I can't tell if any modern fins will fit the fin box on my board.  I've attached a photo.  The slot is about 1cm wide and 3cm deep.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey Eric,

You need to look for a 'US Box' type fin. They are also called A Box and Chinook. Your old fin was probably about 8-10" but 12-18" would work better. You can buy new at many online windsurfing stores or find used on eBay. The link below is an example of a US Box type fin. The 'type' is based on the part of the fin that goes into the board.

Hope this helps.
Keep on sailing,

Surfing & Windsurfing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I have 26 years experience windsurfing and can answer many questions regarding technique for all levels, equipment rigging, how to go fast, some tricks, and where to sail in your area. I can also provide many links to info regarding travel, gear, and how-to`s. For those looking for older parts or general info regarding older equipment, I can usually help.


26 years windsurfing throughout many parts of the USA & Canada.

Number one expert at

©2017 All rights reserved.