Suzuki/car Susuki sidekick

1989 susuki sidekick 89,000 miles
Smokes on cold start, But it will not do it on every cold start,
I put valve seals in it thinking that would do it. it didn't
I have by passed the PCV valve thinking it was sucking oil, it still does it.
It will not smoke after it runs just a minite.

Does it actually consume oil, and is it significantly more than a quart every 700 or 800 miles?
If it isn't really using a lot of oil, it's not generally financially worth doing anything about it.
Try an engine cleaner (I personally recommend BG 109).   
Much of the time, the rings are not as much badly worn as dirty with deposits, and not sealing well as a consequence.  
Compare the cost of adding oil for the next year, even at four times the current consumption to the cost of a re-ring. Sidekicks and Samurais almost never need to be bored for newer larger pistons because the cylinder walls are such hard steel that they mostly don't wear enough to make boring necessary, and you can usually replace the original pistons and rings with outstanding success.
If it doesn't burn a lot of oil, it's no big deal.

David Scott

Questions regarding the advisability of different kinds of modifications to Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker for various kinds of off-road usage. IF IT'S NOT A SAMURAI/SIDEKICK/TRACKER, I MAY ENTIRELY AT MY OPTION, MAKE A GENERALIZED STAB AT THE ANSWER, BUT WHEN YOU ASK NON-SAMURAI SORT OF STUFF, REMEMBER THAT i'M NO LONGER IN A FIELD I KNOW WELL, AND SOME OF MY RESPONSES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE OTHER THAN GENERAL INFO. The last Suzuki motorcycle I've had any experience with is a 1966 X-6, when I owned it in 1967.

I've been a professional mechanic for over thirty five years, live in the center of the Rocky Mountains, and have been active in exploring the old mining/4wd roads for decades. I've specific experience with Samurai modification, because that's my personal vehicle.

Thirty five years of advanced, intensive classes for experienced professionals only. Manufacturer seminars and training classes averaging four to six weeks per year. I'm now a professional heavy duty fleet mechanic, and no longer deal with issues such as MIL (check engine) lights, and electronics issues on late Suzukis such as Vitara.