Suzuki/power steering fluid...tracker

Question
This is a general question, although my vehicle is a '96 Geo Tracker (it only has 85k on it). I took it in for routine maintenance and was told the power steering fluid was low and a flush/refill was recommended (it's never been done, which I'll do at some point). I instead had them just add some, which has also never been done. But I read online that this fluid doesn't go down from being 'used up' and a leak is usually the cause of this. So I don't see how a flush/refill would have helped. Seems they should have instead tried to find a leak? Or in your experience, is it normal for the power steering fluid to go down after 16 years? Thanks

Answer
It won't hurt to change the fluid, but the flush is usually more of a revenue generator than something with a provable benefit.  
Hydraulic fluids like power steering are under relatively high pressure, and a miniscule amount can be vaporized or evaporate due to elevated temperatures which can result in lowered levels over many years.  
Personally I'm fond of BG products, and would consider using one of their products.
If you don't have any leakage, you can just change the fluids, and if you wish use an additive.
There is a website - "bobistheoilguy.com that has a mix of real technical expertise and fanatical adherents of one or another product.
I don't remember whether Dexron atf is the fluid for yours or not, but if it is - see if you can find pure synthetic atf - it's FAR superior to any of the other "magic" power steering products on the market.

Suzuki

David Scott