Suzuki/suzuki grand vitara

Question
QUESTION: What causes a suzuki grand vitara to smoke

ANSWER: There are a couple of possibilities.
First is that as the catalytic converter warms up, and the back half of the exhaust warms up it begins to evaporate the moisture that has condensed in the exhaust, which on a cool or cold morning can be mistaken for smoke.
Another is that as the engine warms up it may burn a minor and unimportant bit of oil from two possible areas - a small amount may have leaked past the valve guide seals while the engine was shut off, or because the engine is not up to operating temperature, the fit between the pistons, rings, and cylinder wall may have allowed a small amount to get by.
The important question is does the engine consume oil, and is it more than a quart every couple of thousand miles?
Another possibility is that if the vehicle was driven in short stop and go trips, seldom if ever attained operating temperature, and did not have the engine oil changed at least three to four times a year, it's possible the oil rings are slightly blocked with deposits.  That can be solved with an engine cleaner added to the oil (of course following the instructions for the cleaner), and then changing the oil and then again changing the oil after another 500-700 miles.

If you have further questions, contact me again, and we will delve deeper into this.

QUESTION: What causes a grand vitara to burn oil?

ANSWER: Answer:

"Burning oil" consists of either oil bypassing one or more valve guide seals, or oil bypassing the bottom oil control ring on one or more pistons, and being subsequently consumed in the combustion process.

All other oil consumption issues are leakage proper and not oil burning.

How much oil must be added every thousand miles to keep the oil level at "full"?

Less than a quart every thousand miles is too small a consumption rate to be worth repairing from a cost/benefit standpoint.

QUESTION: What causes a grand vitara to not reach its full amount of mileage

Answer
Too much subjectivity here.  What specific number of miles/kilometers do you consider to be "full amount of mileage"?  

I've seen vehicles that were only short trip driven and not well enough maintained require internal engine repairs at considerably less than 100k miles.

I've seen a similar make, model and year that was driven almost exclusively long distances and somewhat over maintained exceed 300k miles and still not require internal engine repairs.

I am trying to identify specifically what the issue is, and the variables that have contributed to this, so they can be avoided in the future.

Time to get down to specifics.

What year vehicle, how many miles on the engine, what was it's primary mode of usage, and what is the rate of oil consumption?  How often was the oil changed?  At least every 3k?  Every 7k? Annually?  Not even that often?

Suzuki

David Scott