Suzuki/lights for night driving malfunction

2000 Suzuki Esteem, about 123000 miles

The headlights and other lights for night driving switch on of their own accord even when the vehicle is not running.  Only running the windshield wipers at high speed can disengage the lights.  But minutes later the lights will switch on.

I have had the "switch" for lights and wiper assembly replaced, but the problem persists.

I've seen situations where vehicles with systems that are designed to keep the lights on for a minute or so after the vehicle is shut off will malfunction and turn the lights back on again.  if the battery is disconnected and re-connected, does this still happen?  Have there been any water leaks that could have gotten the fuse block wet, and created a short?   I remember back in the late seventies that due to poor sealing of the radio antenna, water(with salts,etc) got in and created a short in the fuse block that engaged the starter with no one in the vehicle.  I've seen alarm systems malfunction and turn headlights on.  Don't discount a defective headlight relay.
Try removing all the other fuses and see if the problem persists. If it does, at least the problem has been narrowed down to a single set of circuits.  

David Scott

Questions regarding the advisability of different kinds of modifications to Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker for various kinds of off-road usage. IF IT'S NOT A SAMURAI/SIDEKICK/TRACKER, I MAY ENTIRELY AT MY OPTION, MAKE A GENERALIZED STAB AT THE ANSWER, BUT WHEN YOU ASK NON-SAMURAI SORT OF STUFF, REMEMBER THAT i'M NO LONGER IN A FIELD I KNOW WELL, AND SOME OF MY RESPONSES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE OTHER THAN GENERAL INFO. The last Suzuki motorcycle I've had any experience with is a 1966 X-6, when I owned it in 1967.

I've been a professional mechanic for over thirty five years, live in the center of the Rocky Mountains, and have been active in exploring the old mining/4wd roads for decades. I've specific experience with Samurai modification, because that's my personal vehicle.

Thirty five years of advanced, intensive classes for experienced professionals only. Manufacturer seminars and training classes averaging four to six weeks per year. I'm now a professional heavy duty fleet mechanic, and no longer deal with issues such as MIL (check engine) lights, and electronics issues on late Suzukis such as Vitara.