Suzuki/1987 Suzuki Samuari reverse batt. hookup

Put battery cables on in reverse: fuse(s) or ? popped (saw one smoke). Now it won't start - nothing at all when turn key. Checked main fuses all are good. Need to know where to look from here. ECM knocked out? (Hope not:(

Probably didn't hurt ecm unless you turned the key on with connections backwards, and then only maybe.  It's strictly a matter of connections.
You may have a blown fusible link (a wire at the battery that is in fact a fuse device)
First check at the starter and see if the big battery wire has power.
Then turn key with clutch depressed and see if the smaller spade connector at the starter has power.  Marginal (corroded) connections at the battery are pretty common.
You can check at the ignition switch to see if there's battery p[ower, and if the starter circuit is energized.  While it's not common, clutch switches have been known to fail.
In short, the starter circuit is separate from the ecm, and you most likely have a bad connection, blown fusible link, or blown fuse that you're not aware of - yet.
I keep telling everyone - look online, there are free online downloads of the factory manual complete with accurate wiring diagrams for your year vehicle - It's really worth the effort.
Don't hesitate to ask again if you need additional help or whatever.

David Scott

Questions regarding the advisability of different kinds of modifications to Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker for various kinds of off-road usage. IF IT'S NOT A SAMURAI/SIDEKICK/TRACKER, I MAY ENTIRELY AT MY OPTION, MAKE A GENERALIZED STAB AT THE ANSWER, BUT WHEN YOU ASK NON-SAMURAI SORT OF STUFF, REMEMBER THAT i'M NO LONGER IN A FIELD I KNOW WELL, AND SOME OF MY RESPONSES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE OTHER THAN GENERAL INFO. The last Suzuki motorcycle I've had any experience with is a 1966 X-6, when I owned it in 1967.

I've been a professional mechanic for over thirty five years, live in the center of the Rocky Mountains, and have been active in exploring the old mining/4wd roads for decades. I've specific experience with Samurai modification, because that's my personal vehicle.

Thirty five years of advanced, intensive classes for experienced professionals only. Manufacturer seminars and training classes averaging four to six weeks per year. I'm now a professional heavy duty fleet mechanic, and no longer deal with issues such as MIL (check engine) lights, and electronics issues on late Suzukis such as Vitara.