Suzuki/No Compression / 1997 16 valve 1.6L Suzuki

I have come across this scenario twice in my automotive career.
1.6 Liter Suzuki 16 valve SOHC. No Start / No Compression
Had compression on initial check and within minutes a recheck for compression proved that there was very little compared to the 150PSI on the earlier check. Timing cover is off and the timing is right on the mark. Crank sprocket is in good condition and the timing marks are accurate to the TDC of cylinder #1 and the belt has not slipped.
After an extended cranking session the engine finally started to run poorly and as it ran a little longer, seemed to run fine.
Another compression check and all the readings are good.

Here's the question; What can be the cause of the lost compression?

I'm only thoroughly familiar with the 8valve 1.3 liter, but I believe that the 1.6 liter has hydraulic lifters.  
I suppose that deposits in the lifters, causing them to hold the valves slightly open, or excessively high oil pressure due to an extremely high viscosity lubricant in the engine or a stuck oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump could be a causal factor.
One should not discount the possibility that deposits on the rocker arms could be making the rocker arms "sticky" (I did see this once on a 1.3 8 valve that on which the bottom end was rebuilt and nothing was done in service or repair to the cylinder head)  
A cylinder leakdown test would identify the problem if the test is performed during the period of time when there is low compression.

David Scott

Questions regarding the advisability of different kinds of modifications to Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker for various kinds of off-road usage. IF IT'S NOT A SAMURAI/SIDEKICK/TRACKER, I MAY ENTIRELY AT MY OPTION, MAKE A GENERALIZED STAB AT THE ANSWER, BUT WHEN YOU ASK NON-SAMURAI SORT OF STUFF, REMEMBER THAT i'M NO LONGER IN A FIELD I KNOW WELL, AND SOME OF MY RESPONSES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE OTHER THAN GENERAL INFO. The last Suzuki motorcycle I've had any experience with is a 1966 X-6, when I owned it in 1967.

I've been a professional mechanic for over thirty five years, live in the center of the Rocky Mountains, and have been active in exploring the old mining/4wd roads for decades. I've specific experience with Samurai modification, because that's my personal vehicle.

Thirty five years of advanced, intensive classes for experienced professionals only. Manufacturer seminars and training classes averaging four to six weeks per year. I'm now a professional heavy duty fleet mechanic, and no longer deal with issues such as MIL (check engine) lights, and electronics issues on late Suzukis such as Vitara.