Swimming & Diving/Swimming Lessons.

Question
Dear Kenneth

Which would be the perfect time for my child to learn Swimming ?

My Baby Son is 2 years, 6 months old.

I will enroll him to the nearest Swimming Club as per your guidance.

Generally, what would be the ideal time to learn Swimming ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant: the perfect time to  "introduce" your 2 & 6-month old son to any water-based program  is  (1) when your ready to make the commitment to be with him in the water on a scheduled basis without YOU communicating personal fear of water;(2) that medically your son is physically healthy, has no health issues that would  compromise his health; (3) Do your homework & visit a # of swimming  facilities that provide parent-infant water-orientation programs & pick the one you feel is best for your child. I use the phrase "parent-infant water-orientation programs" in place of "learn to swim" programs. At 2 yrs. old plus (months) your son's  skeletal muscle development and strength to actually learn swimming strokes is still too immature at this point in time; (3)in your investigations of child water orientation programs observe how parents are guided by swim instructors. Are the techniques used to provide water-orientation for both parent and child  effective meaning:  Do you observe learning going on in a very positive atmosphere? Do instructors intervene if  a baby demonstrates great distress? Are swimming aids provided if warranted or necessary? Is the instructor(s) in the water themselves providing assistance and showing parents proper techniques on 1 to 1 basis for your baby's lessons (& water immersion exercises). (4)Is the water clear and hygienically clean; is the water  temp. comfortable enough that  being in the water for  approx. 30 minutes (or less) at a time is not distressing for either you or your son. (5) Good Luck; a little crying in the beginning of the orientations is not unusual! Make it a fun experience. Picking the right facility is more than half the battle.

Swimming & Diving

Kenneth Pollock