Swimming & Diving/Swimming Lessons.

Question
Dear Paul

Which would be the perfect time for my child to learn Swimming ?

My Baby Son is 2 years, 6 months old.

I will enroll him to the nearest Swimming Club as per your guidance.

Generally, what would be the ideal time to learn Swimming ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Personally, I started around 7 years of age but I have heard of mothers who have taken their babies at the age of 3. Of course at 3 years of age the child wouldn't be doing swimming but rather getting used to the water and overcoming their fears of it. I think starting around age 5 or 6 would be considered early but workable. Generally speaking though I dont think there is an ideal time to start learning. I've had friends that started in high school that were still able to learn quickly. Ask around your area and the clubs if they have mother/kid classes. Usually when you enroll in a swimming club it is geared towards competitive training. To answer your question, I think your child could start as soon as you want them to, but with proper guidance/

Hope this has answered your question!

Swimming & Diving

Paul Chang