Swimming & Diving/breathing while swimming

Question
hello, may i know how can i breathe while swimming front stroke freestyle?

Answer
Hi:The terminology  to describe how to breathe while swimming freestyle is called: ROTARY BREATHING. In swimming this stroke, you turn your head to either left or right side to take your breath [intake,inhale, if you will]. YOU DO NOT BREATHE ON BOTH SIDES OF YOUR FACE. Every person has a DOMINANT SIDE [either 'left' or 'right') Example: your preference for holding a spoon, a fork, writing with pen/pencil. The dominant choice of which hand you use, even walking up stairs [which foot/leg you start off with] determines 'dominance.' Therefore: as your dominant arm (hand) starts the pull, your head rotates to that same side to take a breath, preferably via your wide-opened mouth. As this dominant hand & arm pulls thru the water towards your hip, you've inhaled air as much as you can; then rotate your  head back into the water and exhale (blowing bubbles) as your alternating arm starts its pull. The air bubbles indicate your exhalations. As you continue to exhale with face into the water in combination of pulling with alternating  arm (hand) it produces the same pulling action as did your dominant arm (hand). Once this alternating arm-pulling cycle is completed it repeats (again, again, & again) as you are now moving forward in this alternating arm-pulling cycle, always taking a breath as your rotate your head to inhale on dominant side! That's why ROTARY BREATHING IS PHRASEOLOGY USED TO DESCRIBE THIS BREATHING PROCESS. If you are at a pool site, watch experienced free-style swimmers exercise this breathing technique. Done correctly, they will be able to swim lap upon lap without stopping or feeling out of breath. If you have access to internet look on U-Tube (free-style rotary breathing filmings). Let me know how you make out after such practice. It will take a little while to get 'hang of it'.  Ken

Swimming & Diving

Kenneth Pollock