Swimming & Diving/Post nasel drip and sneezing after swimming

Question
Recently I have taken up swimming laps  for exercise. I am 65 years odl, in good shape , and am a fairly decent swimmer. I wear goggles but no nose clip. Unfortunately, I am miseraable for several hours after I finish my laps.. My nose drips constantly and I sneeze continuously! It is so weird! I do not want to quit swimming so hope you have a suggestion for me. Thanks.

Answer
Hi M Fox: Not having in-depth knowledge of your physical endowments, handicaps or medical issues, I can only give some common-sense suggestions. Also, after you've heard what suggestions I'm providing, you should  opt to discuss these issues with your ears, nose, throat specialist. If you have never had contact with one, this appears the time to do so.
Suggestion(1):Swimming pools vary in acidity, chlorine content,etc. You might want to check with the pool engineer where you swim to ask him about such conditions. High acidity and/or high chlorine content, even  high pool temperatures can affect sinuses and bronchial physiology. The higher the acidity, chlorine & temperature readings the more significant will be the results you mention.
Suggestion(2): For next swim session, wear nose clips and swim for same amount of time you usually swim (you didn't mention how long your swim session average-an important factor#. If after the session, none of these symptoms occur, we can confirm that indeed, it's a respiratory issue. If the symptoms you mentioned persist, then we need to look further as to what are causative factors.
Suggestion #3)Assuming after using noseclip, the symptoms mentioned didn't occur, (a# contact EAR,NOSE,THROAT specialist,& explain the problem and the experiment using earplugs. He/she may prescribe a respiratory spray to use before/after swimming that may nullify and/or minimize the nose drip and sneezing.Additionally:If your swim sessions last over 2 hours per swim, you may want to split the sessions in half, swim 1hr+ in morning/swim 1hr+ in afternoon/evening to lessen symptoms.
Suggestion #3):If not of the above solve your problem: Buy a good set of swim fins and snorkel. A friend of mine uses them with his goggles (or facemask# and swims close to 2 1/ hours. He has great workouts!Use of the snorkel eliminates the respiratory issues you mention.  TRY ANY OR ALL THE ABOVE. LET ME KNOW IF WE SOLVED THE PROBLEM#S). GOOD LUCK. KEN

Swimming & Diving

Kenneth Pollock