Swimming & Diving/Swim Team Walk On- What to expect?

Question
So I'm starting college next year, and I swim often for recreation and exercise. I usually swim laps at my gym after school. I was on a club for two years in middle school before quitting. My friend and I are going to be attending the same college in the fall, it's a d3 school, but is not known as a particularly fast team, so the time standards are low. In fact, this school competes against NJCAA teams in addition to other d3 teams. My friend has been encouraging me to walk on the team and swim with her, but I'm not so sure. I spoke with the coach and gave him my times, and he said they were good enough. I'd ask him and my friend these questions, but my friend is on vacation and my potential coach will be out of the office until July.

However, I'm not exactly sure what to expect as a walk on. How do I balance swimming and academics? Are practices tough and cover a ton of yardage? What do I expect at meets? Do men and women usually train together? What are the attendance requirements? I'm pretty nervous about this whole thing.

Also, especially with the Olympics coverage 3 years ago, I've heard a lot of swimmers pee in the pool. I find this personally disgusting, and I'm not sure if I would want to be swimming with other people peeing in the pool, that's so gross. Do swimmers on college teams pee in the pool?

Answer
Hi Sarah: I don't know what a d3 school is! No matter.. Sounds like you're looking for a good excuse (to tell your friend as well as yourself) NOT TO JOIN THE SWIM TEAM OF THIS NEW   SCHOOL YOU'LL SOON BE ATTENDING. What's the rush?  Enter the college in the fall with expectations of doing well in  your studies. That's main reason for attending, yes?? After a semester or two, If all goes well with your studies, and you feel you have the time and energies to add competitive swimming to your agenda, THEN visit the pool, watch the workouts, speak to the coach; that will be the time to make that commitment. And if you do join the college's team and your studies' grades begin to decline, you can always drop out of the "swim" with no hard feelings or wonders of: 'should I join,, or not join (swimming).
As a teacher (retired) that's my advice.   Give me your feedback, thanks  Ken.

Swimming & Diving

Kenneth Pollock