Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance/Hot tub keeps switching to econ mode?

I just purchased a used Four Winds hot tub - model name is 'Maverick'. It uses a Balboa control system, i believe.
I got it all set up, and set the modes to "F2" filter mode, and "Standard" mode. However, it has not been heating. It seemed to heat by a few degrees, but then went back down to where it was (5+ hrs ago).
When I go look at the controls, and hit temp + lights, it is showing "econ". I have put it back on standard, but every time I look at it, it is back on econ mode.
First, could this be why it is not heating (since econ only heats when its filtering, and I have it set to only filter 2 hrs at a time).
Second, how do I get it to stay on standard mode??

Thank you in advance for your help,

Hi Rose,

Thanks for your question. A couple of questions:

1. How old is the spa?
2. Have you been having any other problems?

Frankly, if the spa is still under warranty, I would definitely get your dealer back over to help you out. Most electronic issues are BEST taken care of by a service call that would be well worth your money.

Just for the heck of it, is there any way to have it filter for longer than 2 hours at a time? Go for 4 - 6, but if it's not maintaining temperature, there may be another problem.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Let me know.

Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance

Ron Parrs

Swimming Pool & Spa/Hot tub care. Water chemistry. Problem solving. Residential pools, vinyl liner a specialty. Limited knowledge of gunite or plaster pool construction. Familiar with almost all types of sanitizing systems whether chlorine, bromine, salt, low & non-chlorine chemical treatment, biguanide (Baquacil or Soft Swim), Nature2, etc. Experience treating bio films in pools and spas. Aqua finesse, PoolNaturally & SpaNaturally (using sphagnum moss to control pool & hot tub chemistry & bio-films).

Pool & spa care experience for over 37 years. Owner of Par Pool & Spa in Stratford, CT. Websites: www.parpools.com , www.spacareonline.com , www.pool-care.net , www.parpoolsblog.com

EzineArticles.com , websites mentioned above, Pool & Spa News

BS Accounting, University of Bridgeport, almost yearly participation in BioGuard Pool Schools, BioGuard University, Chem Plus Schools, Chem College attendance since 1981

Past President - Connecticut Spa & Pool Association, Past Board Member - Northeast Spa & Pool Association

too many to answer