Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance/Above ground pool not level

Hello Ron,

A good friend of mine recently bought an oval shaped above-ground pool for her back yard.  The pool supply store recommended an installer but several phone calls went unanswered, forcing her to look elsewhere for an installer.  After unsuccessfully finding a professional, she finally agreed to let a friend do the job, which I had warned her that she had better find someone who has experience.  Apparently he did not have much experience.

She has complained to me that her pool is not level, and many calls to the guy who installed it have been ignored.  She is looking for someone to evaluate the pool to see if the imbalance will cause any problems with the support braces that surround the pool.  This is why I am writing to you.  

In your opinion, will an unlevel above ground pool cause any problems with the braces, or perhaps the lining? She is very worried that it might collapse on one side and flood the neighborhood.  I welcome any thoughts you may have.  

Thank you.

Thanks for your question.

Hate to sound silly but it depends on HOW off level it is. Manufacturers typically allow a variance of about 2 to 3 inches from end to end or side to side.

The worst part is that it looks awful... especially when you pay someone good money to do a proper job.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance

Ron Parrs

Swimming Pool & Spa/Hot tub care. Water chemistry. Problem solving. Residential pools, vinyl liner a specialty. Limited knowledge of gunite or plaster pool construction. Familiar with almost all types of sanitizing systems whether chlorine, bromine, salt, low & non-chlorine chemical treatment, biguanide (Baquacil or Soft Swim), Nature2, etc. Experience treating bio films in pools and spas. Aqua finesse, PoolNaturally & SpaNaturally (using sphagnum moss to control pool & hot tub chemistry & bio-films).

Pool & spa care experience for over 37 years. Owner of Par Pool & Spa in Stratford, CT. Websites: www.parpools.com , www.spacareonline.com , www.pool-care.net , www.parpoolsblog.com

EzineArticles.com , websites mentioned above, Pool & Spa News

BS Accounting, University of Bridgeport, almost yearly participation in BioGuard Pool Schools, BioGuard University, Chem Plus Schools, Chem College attendance since 1981

Past President - Connecticut Spa & Pool Association, Past Board Member - Northeast Spa & Pool Association

too many to answer