Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance/Pool pump

I can not get the water to stop swirling inside the strainer of my Haward super pump . I have replaced  the gasket . The water was just like glass but not now .

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your question.

The short answer is that you have air getting into the pump from somewhere. Considering that you probably just opened the pool, I would say that your predicament is normal (my own pool does that to me year in & year out).

I typically recommend to my customers that they just give it a couple of days. Beyond that, here are a couple of things to check:

1. the pool's water level. Even if it's just a 1/2 inch low, that can cause that air problem.
2. check any glued or clamped fittings. If older, these can allow a small amount of air in.
3. check the impeller. If the impeller is clogged [even a little), the pump will not properly draw. Check this link: http://www.parpools.com/Page/Help/Pool/Pump-no-work.html

I hope that helps.

Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance

Ron Parrs

Swimming Pool & Spa/Hot tub care. Water chemistry. Problem solving. Residential pools, vinyl liner a specialty. Limited knowledge of gunite or plaster pool construction. Familiar with almost all types of sanitizing systems whether chlorine, bromine, salt, low & non-chlorine chemical treatment, biguanide (Baquacil or Soft Swim), Nature2, etc. Experience treating bio films in pools and spas. Aqua finesse, PoolNaturally & SpaNaturally (using sphagnum moss to control pool & hot tub chemistry & bio-films).

Pool & spa care experience for over 37 years. Owner of Par Pool & Spa in Stratford, CT. Websites: www.parpools.com , www.spacareonline.com , www.pool-care.net , www.parpoolsblog.com

EzineArticles.com , websites mentioned above, Pool & Spa News

BS Accounting, University of Bridgeport, almost yearly participation in BioGuard Pool Schools, BioGuard University, Chem Plus Schools, Chem College attendance since 1981

Past President - Connecticut Spa & Pool Association, Past Board Member - Northeast Spa & Pool Association

too many to answer