Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance/corner tear in liner

My 10 year old vinyl liner tore in the west end of the deep side of the pool...we had a storm and there were a few sticks in the pool I turned it in the insurance company but they said that it tore because the liner is not tight to the corners and the weight of the water put stress on it....I know that the liner is 10 years old but that corner does not get the afternoon sun and there was a stick in the skimmer (with a sharp end)...I have pics...and we were in pool earlier that day and took picks the day after storm

Hi John,

Thanks for your question...

The only thing that I can tell you to tell or ask the insurance folks is, "what about if the branch struck & cut another corner or part of the pool?" ALL corners are always tight & rarely flush unless you have a large radius cornered pool (2 ft or 4 ft). All of that plus the age of the liner - it's reached the "end" of a typical useful life.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Swimming Pool & Spa Construction & Maintenance

Ron Parrs

Swimming Pool & Spa/Hot tub care. Water chemistry. Problem solving. Residential pools, vinyl liner a specialty. Limited knowledge of gunite or plaster pool construction. Familiar with almost all types of sanitizing systems whether chlorine, bromine, salt, low & non-chlorine chemical treatment, biguanide (Baquacil or Soft Swim), Nature2, etc. Experience treating bio films in pools and spas. Aqua finesse, PoolNaturally & SpaNaturally (using sphagnum moss to control pool & hot tub chemistry & bio-films).

Pool & spa care experience for over 37 years. Owner of Par Pool & Spa in Stratford, CT. Websites: www.parpools.com , www.spacareonline.com , www.pool-care.net , www.parpoolsblog.com

EzineArticles.com , websites mentioned above, Pool & Spa News

BS Accounting, University of Bridgeport, almost yearly participation in BioGuard Pool Schools, BioGuard University, Chem Plus Schools, Chem College attendance since 1981

Past President - Connecticut Spa & Pool Association, Past Board Member - Northeast Spa & Pool Association

too many to answer