Systems Management/Automatic Hibernation

Question
Dear Mr. Chandrasekar,

I hope you are doing great.

I have a query regarding unnoticed power outages and computer processes.

Well, i am a researcher and i have to work simultaneously using many software programs with at least three documents open for analysis.

Here, due to severe electric outages, the system turns off and on several times, and each time it goes off my whole work is lost. Then upon getting electricity back i have to restart my tasks from the beginning. This highly distracts the sequence of my work.

A possible solution is hibernate but provided that the system is getting AC supply. But, is it possible to let my system go hibernate each time it gets unpredictable short power outages? Any other alternate?

I hope you understand what i mean.

Thanks a lot for consideration.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
Fahim

Answer
I can think about the following options for you.

-- You can use a UPS and connect your computers to it.
-- Use the Auto save option if the application/software you use has that feature.
-- You can use a Laptop which will automatically switch to battery mode when a power cut occurs.

Hope this helps. Thanks

Systems Management

Chandrasekar