Systems Management/project management

Question
hi i need your advice in project management for upgrading a network for a university , during the project process a fire significantly damaged the newly installed network cables and equipment, which is affect the project budget and the schedule to deliver the project goals,and make the project manager change the plan by using cheaper equipment to re-coup the losses because the university couldn't afford more refunds.  the questions are how can i define who is responsible to afford the consequences and the overrunning budget(the project manager or the university)?what criteria i should follow to define the responsibilities and what should be done to avoid this problem. i appreciate you help me in answering these questions. regards

Answer
This appears to be accidental event and if the premises is covered with Insurance then you can submit a claim. If the accident was due to carelessness then the project manager should call for an enquiry. The Project Manager/University should take this as an experience for future projects like this.

Systems Management

Chandrasekar