TV Industry/Creating and pitching a tv show

Hi Marrissa!

My name is Shawn and I'm from Singapore. I have a reality show idea (paranormal reality series) for years now and I also own my own paranormal team where we investigate locations internationally and the show idea is base largely on this.

I have created a document that depicts the whole idea I have for the show and we are working hard to do a sizzle reel for it now. We are looking to pitch the show locally and also internationally. Can I have your advice on where and how do I go about do it? And the most realistic way I should take now, like finding producers or productions companies to pitch the show to or etc?

Hi, Shawn -

If you can move quickly, then you should look into the NATPE convention in January. - It's not cheap, but almost all of the major studios, networks, and production companies will be there in one way or another.  They also have workshops and other opportunities available.  You can use the NATPE resources as well as a trial subscription to IMDBPro ( to try and target people and companies you think might be interested.  

Additionally, the international TV market has a convention called MIPCOM ( - you might want to check out.

If you review my previously answered questions, you should be able to locate info on targeting agents & producers.  Networks are a much longer shot, as they prefer to work with people they already know.

Hopefully, this helps.  I look forward to hearing about your success!

TV Industry

Marrissa O`Leary

Happy to help with your questions about the business of television. I've been a TV Business Affairs, Talent and Comedy executive for over 10 years after starting out as a child actress. I've been a VP at two studios, and consulted for others. Because we get so many questions about reality shows, please take a look at the "Previously Answered Questions" first (you'll probably find what you need there!). Also - please bear in mind that budgets & license fees are considered to be proprietary information and I can't share them here. Thanks!

20+ years in entertainment, ranging from child actress to studio vice president.

MBA, Pepperdine University / BA, Theatre Arts, Occidental College / AA Mass-Telecommunications Technology, Unites States International University