Advertisement wrote at 2013-07-20 17:50:42
I also have the same TV: SP61L3HXX/AAG (I've had it since 2005; bought it while stationed overseas in Italy), and it just started doing the same identical thing Cleggsan described.  It turns on with perfect sound/video, but after a while (couple of minutes to a couple of hours), the video will shut off with a black screen and video still present.  I am sure it is probably the lamp (Amazon sells BP96-00826A for $60.00), but I would like to double-check with an expert before purchasing it. Just in case it might possibly be something else as well?  Thank you in advance

cleggsan wrote at 2013-07-23 16:22:16
Unfortunately with most flat screen tvs with lamps you must, usually, replace the lamp in order to progress further in finding out if it is the lamp or something else going on.  The bad news is once it has been installed in the tv the supplier will not take it back for return credit.  Many owners of earlier flat screen tvs buy two lamps, having a spare for replacement and for checking when things do go wrong.  All the best.

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio