TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/cant utilize all the functions of my dvr remote

I have a toshiba dvd/vcr recorder. My problem is the remote no longer functions properly. Mainly the programmable functions. My question is do they make a cheaper universal remote that would do the job of programming my unit? Im not about to pay 50.00 for a direct replacement. the number on the remote is SE-RO294. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First let me suggest you do a reset of the dvd/vcr. It is possible the remote control circuitry has been corrupted.  Check your owners manual for reset instructions.  SOmetimes there is a button or procedure that does it electronically. Otherwise do it this way:  Unplug the power cord of the dvd/vcr unit and leave it unplugged for a few hours.  When you power it back up it will automatically reset the internal electronics.

If this does not help then it may be the remote.  There are a couple of units worth trying.  Dollar Tree has one that I have found works on many products.  It costs $1.00.  Then, Walmart usually carries one that is either by GE or RCA that does good and is $4.95 or there abouts.

So, try that and see how it goes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio