TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/cant utilize all the functions of my dvr remote

Question
I have a toshiba dvd/vcr recorder. My problem is the remote no longer functions properly. Mainly the programmable functions. My question is do they make a cheaper universal remote that would do the job of programming my unit? Im not about to pay 50.00 for a direct replacement. the number on the remote is SE-RO294. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
First let me suggest you do a reset of the dvd/vcr. It is possible the remote control circuitry has been corrupted.  Check your owners manual for reset instructions.  SOmetimes there is a button or procedure that does it electronically. Otherwise do it this way:  Unplug the power cord of the dvd/vcr unit and leave it unplugged for a few hours.  When you power it back up it will automatically reset the internal electronics.

If this does not help then it may be the remote.  There are a couple of units worth trying.  Dollar Tree has one that I have found works on many products.  It costs $1.00.  Then, Walmart usually carries one that is either by GE or RCA that does good and is $4.95 or there abouts.

So, try that and see how it goes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan