TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/capacitor ?

QUESTION: Hi, i have a sony trinitron 1998  kv35s26  the picture stoped working sound ok. i opened the back and looked at the boards, there is one burnt capacitor (very small) could this be the problem? it is on the G board (small one on the bottom of the set) do you know the value of the capacitor i need to get it is marked c613 on the board i do not have the manual to find the value of this small capacitor. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

ANSWER: I am going to let you do the research on this.

If you go to this site:

On the first page of the manual that comes up and on the bottom of the first page you will find the listing of several models that the manual apply to.  These are all using the same chassis and essentially the same parts list.

Then if you go to you can search through the Sony service manuals and schematics for a compatible model.  The exact model you gave is not listed there but there are many others that are probably the same chassis as above.

Further, when the audio is working good but no video/picture AND the screen is dark (no raster) it is nearly always the loss of high voltage and/or the horizontal deflection amplifier at fault.

If there is a raster but no video the problem is usually in the video processing section somewhere and requires troubleshooting.

Hope this gets you in the right direction.

QUESTION: Thank you, one other question, is it ok to plug the power supply in while it out of the tv not connected to the other  board? will the voltages shown on the side of the power G board be correct if tested this way?

Normally it would be ok.  The voltages may go a little higher because of no load but it should be safe and not cause any potential damage to the PS circuits.

But, be careful.  Power supplies in recent years have become very sophisticated with voltage regulation, ripple reducer amplifier circuits, overload detection schemes and so on.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio