TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Sony Color Rear Video Projector

I have a Sony Color Rear Video Projector, Model # KP-46wt510. It was manufactured in December 2003.

When I turn the TV on, the whole screen is red for a couple of seconds then it becomes blank, and the timer/standby light blinks eight (8) times then off, then repeat the blinking cycle.

What is wrong and how to repair it?

Sorry to give you bad news.  Eight blinks is associated with failure of the high voltage.

The loss  of high voltage can be due to a flyback transformer going/gone bad and/or the horizontal deflection amplifier failure.

Cost of repair is quite steep; about $300 if done by a competent repair shop.  Much less if you can DIY - but it requires good tv electronics skill to do the job in my opinion.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio