TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Mitsubishi Big Screen Problems

Hello! I have a 60 inch 1080p Mitsubishi big screen. The model information is WD 60638 with a serial number of 400171. I'm trying to use headphones and would appreciate some help getting the arrangement to work. I have a 3.55mm stereo coupler as well as a 3.5mm stereo male to 2 RCA stereo female cable. The problem is that when I plug it into the red and white sockets in the back of the television, I don't get any audio through the headphones. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a certain kind of cable?

I also have a separate inline volume cable that allows me to increase/decrease the volume with this arrangement but again, regardless of whether I use this with the coupler and male/female cable it still gives me no audio. Would I need an amplifier, or perhaps something else in order to use headphones with this television?

Thank you so much for your time!

Page 22 of your owners manual talks about how to turn off the internal speakers and send audio to the rca outputs, using the volume control on the remote.

I think the best solution for you is to have a headphone amplifier to go from the rca outputs to its input then to the headphones.

As far as I can see there is no 'headphone' output jack on this set.  It is intended, I suppose, that you would be using a surround sound receiver system which would contain the headphone functionality.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio