TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/RCA M50WH74S

Picture will keep going out, blue light in from blinks. Sound is fine

This set is prone to many failures as are almost all brands of DLP based technology sets.

The blinking light may mean the bulb needs replace. Check your manual for the procedures. If the blue lamp is blinking 5 times I think you may need a new color wheel.

Also, the color wheel is a known point of trouble.  Very expensive to replace.

The ballast board is also known to go out frequently.  You can google for that but they are usually around $40 to $50.

There are other boards this set requires, You can google for them and find most of them easily at various board supply houses. Unfortunately, you will need to have someone troubleshoot the set if you wish to know which circuit element has failed or which board needs replacing.  But, as above, I would start by checking out the lamp.

Best wishes,  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio