TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/rca tv

Hi i have a 42 inch rca model#42pa30rq and every button on remoe is volum and same as the buttons on the tv all make the volume go up and i cant change the channels any suggestions

First, try a reset. Check your owners manual.  If not specific instructions then reset by unplugging the power cord for at least a few hours or overnight; then power it up again and go through channel scan again.

If the reset does not solve the problem you may need professional help.  Is it still under warranty? If so, contact the warranty officials.

Sometimes strange things happen like this for a simple open contact inside the set at one of the many cable connectors.  So, give it a swat with your hand or fist all around the cabinet to see if the physical vibrations can reactivate such open connections inside the set.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio