TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Sound Issue with DVD Playback

I have an issue with DVD playback that has become more annoying over the past few years.  It seems that background music and noise is louder than the movie’s dialogue, causing entire conversations to go unheard.  Is this a fixable problem or is there a “sync” issue between DVD and TV?  I currently have a Panasonic Viera Plasma 50-inch TV Model #TC-P50ST50 (1 year old) and a Panasonic DVD Video Recorder Model #DMR-E30 (which I have had for quite a long time).  Can you suggest a solution? Thanks.

This condition is most often caused when the left and right audio channles are out of phase.
However this condition is not usually possible unless there is some wiring problem within the circuitry of the audio circuits inside the tv or the dvd player.

Also, some sets have a Karaoke setting which intentionally eliminates the center channel audio so that Karaoke music may be used for singing.  Check your dvd player for that feature and if so just delete or change it to non-karaoke setting.  I just checked your owners manual and it does have a Karaoke function.  Please check that out.  (See page 42 of your manual).

Also, you are maybe using the  HDMI or digital audio connection between player and tv?  Try using the composite connections (Yellow for video, Red and White for audio) which is analog connections; you might get better results.

Let me know if you need more.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio