TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/vertical deflection amplifier

Mitsubishi cs 35401 can i make repairs my self? what kind of soldering kit should i buy? looks easy enough to repair. serviceman wants $65. to come out, said it goes towards repair coat of $220. i cannot afford that. would it be cheaper to repair my self? how much for a soldering kit? that's like 20 questions i know, but would greatly appreciate any response,thank you

WEll,  are you sure it is the vertical deflection amplifier?  And what component do you think should be replaced?  If it is the output transistor you may find it mounted on a metal heat sink that requires mechanical skills in removing it from the chassis parts.

You probably need a service manual which shows the exploded views for how to disassemble the parts.

But, here is an alternate thought.  I was in a thrift store the other day here in Atlanta and found a used but in good working condition a 35" tv for $19.  Maybe this is a better solution for you. I don't think you can buy the soldering equipment for that amount!

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio