TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/mitsubishi WS 55809

Lately the picture fades to very light, then returns to full color, and repeats and repeats, no set time in between.

First do a reset.  Unplug the power cord for at least 4 hours or overnight before powering it up again.  You may need to go through the setup again to reestablish all the settings for your normal usage.

If a reset or restart does not help then it will need servicing.  Many possible causes abound on these very sophisticated systems.  My first guess and it is just a guess based on observation of similar problems it may be a failure of the convergence system.  If it were the convergence circuit and you decided to repair it by yourself here is a kit that has the parts and instructions that you can purchase for around $75 -  that takes about 3 to 4 hours of labor to do the  job.

But, it may have nothing to do with the convergence system and is in the video processor circuits.  Could be just a cold solder joint somewhere or a bad IC.  

Try just banging on the chassis with your hand or fist. Sometimes that is all it takes to get a cold solder joint back to working....   There are just too many possibilities and it requires hands on testing in order to narrow down the possible causes.

And so it goes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio