TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/flat screen tv shutting off

I have a 47 inch flat screen tv a vizio model E47OVA it was bought in 2010. About a year ago I started experiencing a problem when I used the menu to change inputs the tv would shut off and I would have to turn it back on with the remote. Lately its starting to shut off while watching a program. It turns itself back on but it appears its becoming more frequent. I hwas an electrician for 30 years and have some basic electronic background. If you have any advice on this problem it would be grately appreciated.

The fact that it will turn itself ON means the problem is associated with some part of the main power supply -  best guess, anyway.

The protection circuit is sensing that something is triggering excessive current.

If you have a VOM voltmeter and know how to use it you could monitor the dc voltage lines noting if the voltage drops down when first turned on.

Some times an electrolytic capacitor will dry out and become a low impedance short in the power supply.  Look for bloating or electrolyte seeping from the cap as well.

So, give that a try.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio