TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/misubishi tv

i have a mitsubishi vs4506r tv i think the transformer is bad can i replace it myself has little work history on tv/s

If you have the right replacement transformer it would be exact wire for wire replacement.  

But, it is rare that a transformer in a tv would fail. Most often it is the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply circuit that place shorted conditions on the transformer making one think the transformer has failed.  And, when lytics go short they often blow a fuse or give some indication of over current conditions.  So, check it out carefully.

It is an old set and not worthy of a big investment. If you can find the transformer replacement it may cost more money than buying a new set.  Last time I priced a tv power transformer of the kind you are needing it was over $200.  But, manufacturers rarely support parts replacements beyond 6 to 8 years.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio