TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Philips 50PL9126D, year - 2006

I lost color and there is a loud buzzing.  I still have picture  (black & white)and sound.
I would like to make the repair myself.
I removed the back panel and think I can tell the buzzing is coming from the center/left side of the back in a large silver box.

I am not familiar with this model but I do know it has a history of color wheel failure.  And the entire optical engine assemble is removable for repair.  And it seems that buzzing can be one of the symptoms of when the color wheel gives up the ghost.

Take a look at this youtube:  and notice there are many other similar youtubes that are related to this family of dlp projection sets.

While this may not be a cause for your set, there is a software upgrade for this model that you can download from the Philips support web site. It may be worth it when you get it working to do the software upgrade.

Also, some have reported the fan causing a buzzing sound - probably from bad lubrication allowing the shaft of the fan motor to wear and start chattering.

So, there are a few things for you to investigate; hope it leads you to the right solution.

Good Luck.

PS:  DLP sets have been notorious for reliability and many owners have just given up trying to get them going again after a few failures.  The cost of repair parts is quite high and you should look carefully to determine if the set is worthy of a big repair bill investment to keep it going.  With the dropping prices of 50 inch sets you may want to consider a replacement LCD or plasma (which are on sale just about everywhere nowdays).  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio