TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Pioneer Television SD-T50W1/SL

We have a Pioneer Projection Colour Television SD-T50W1/SL and the picture, the blue beam is about 3 inches of to the right from the red and green beams. Initially, when it happened 3-4 weeks ago, it corrected itself, but now it seems to stay. We love the Television too much so repair is our goal.

This is a quite common failure for RPTV.  It is caused by the failure of the convergence circuitry inside the set. Pioneer sets are very good and no more common than other brands that come from Japanese companies.  

The repair involves replacing the two convergence IC chips and sometimes a resistor and capacitor.

In the USA there are repair kits that can be purchased. These kits come with all the parts and instructions including a video on how to do the repairs. It takes soldering and IC removal skills.  They cost around USD$80 approximately.  I think you might find one these kits out of the UK but whether your country has them or not.  Maybe DenHague would have a parts type place that can get it for you.  If not, you can find out the repair parts by googling around online for your model.  Then, also, online there are general type instructions on fixing convergence failures.

Once you get it repaired the normal settings for converging the cross hairs will work properly.

Let me know if you will need more.

PS:  If you decide to have a technician do the repair it is quite expensive. In the USA a typical service charge would be around USD250 to USD$400 depending on model and distance repair  truck must travel, etc.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio