TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/CDs skipping

QUESTION: "I don't know if you know about CD players but will ask anyway.  I have a Teac PD-D2500.  It has 5 5 spaces for CDs that are on a revolving table.  I will play a CD and it skips or stops playing even though the deck is still on,  I have cleaned the disks so it has to be the player.  how can I fix this?

Thank you."

ANSWER: Try cleaning the optical lens.  Do this by using a cotton Q tip by just flicking off the dust and microscopic particles.  Do not use any liquid or cleaning fluids.

But, my suspicion is the laser diode which is buried inside the optical pickup is getting old and weak since this is quite an old model.  The cure is to replace the optical pickup system. Unfortunately, the replacement cost and alignment of the optics will cost quite alot and most owners of cd players have found it more economical to just purchase a new cd player/changer.

Hope this helps you with the right solution.

PS: There are many other possible causes of skipping such as a bad Integrated Circuit that processes the digital information from the disk, mechanical tracking system out of adjustment due to dropping the changer or bumping it, optical focus controls out of adjustment, etc.  But, again, fixing these things require taking the changer to a shop that has the test equipment to do the repairs and adjustments. Unless you are emotionally tied to this changer you might find it more economical to replace it.

QUESTION: Sorry it took so long ot get back to you.  I took the lid off the CD player.  There were cables and wires over the optical lens.  It looks like the lens is underneath but I don't think the lens is facing me.  I think I have to take the whole thing out to clean it.  Is this right?  How can I access the lens?  I also noticed I have a CD cleaner disk in a drawer.  Will this clean the lens or clean it as well as  just a swab?

You can try a long reaching q-tip.  A lens cleaning disc may help also but they sometimes don't work so well.  I do not encourage you to dissassemble the mechanism unless you are electronically and mechanically inclined as there is too much danger in damaging the internal parts.

As before, my suspicion is the set needs a replacement of the optical reader head which I guarantee you will cost more than the purchase price of a new cd player.

Best wishes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio