TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Hitachi Ultravision 50UX52B-1997

We started experiencing horizontal lines and picture shaking on the screen a couple weeks ago and sometimes they get so bad you can't really see the picture.  Sometimes the picture clears up perfectly.  We've checked for any loose wires or connections in the back, but this has not helped.  Any comments or advice would be appreciated.  Thank you so much.

But did you vibrate the set by whacking it with your hand or fist to see if it will come and go.  Also, try just moving the set by pushing it back and forth or side to side.  

If so, it means there is  an intermittent connection somewhere inside the set. They are usually very hard to find and very expensive to get fixed.  The best solution for these kinds of intermittent conditions is to shake, whack, move or somehow getting it working reliably and then don't ever touch it again!

Unfortunately,  a set of this age is rarely a good candidate for repair since the cost of repairs are not a good investment; the set has virtually no value even it it were working properly and the cost of new flat screen LED, Plasma and LCD sets are coming down in price every day.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio