TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Pioneer Plasma

Hello,  I am interested in purchasing a used Pioneer Kuro Plasma 5080.  Even though there several years old, I have not seen even a new plasma that I like as much.   I can get it for only a few hundred however it has an issue.  There is a 2" clear/white discoloration in the center of the screen.  It is less prominent when TV is turned on or backlit. If needed, i am able to send a picture of the set. I know the info is limited but are you able to make a best guess on what caused it and the possible costs to repair?

Thanks for the help.

You are right: it is now an old set, but a good one for its day.

My thoughts are:

ONE:  A few hundred dollars for a set this old seems very high priced; especially so since it has a defect. If it were in perfect condition it might be worth a "few hundred" but my limit would be around $300.

TWO:  Guessing about the color issue in the center of the screen leads me to think it might be a burn in problem - which was common in earlier plasma sets.  If it is a burn it is not repairable and requires replacement of the display which would be very, very expensive.  Finding a replacement display screen may be very difficult as well.  If it is, indeed, a burn in defect it renders the value of the set near zero.

CONCLUSION:  It might be best to stay away from it.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio