TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/CD Player

Question
Thank you very much for the reply.  You said it is easy to fix the piece the optical lens is mounted on.  I presume it is mounted near the top of the Player since I cannot see how it is mounted with the bottom off.  It appears to be mounted on top of the turntable and I would have to dismantle a lot more and I do not want to mess it up any more unless I am pretty sure it is  getting fixed instead of broken.  I looked at Teac's site and they had a lot of models with service manuals but not this one. You don't know how to easily adjust the optical lens so it is on straight?

Thanks

CD player
Question:    Again, Thanks for the reply.  I plugged the changer in while I looked to see where the disc went when it played.  The cover was off also.  The optical lens was towards the back   I cleaned it off.  However, te disc did not spin when I ppressed "Play".  I also noticed that the plastic piece where the optical lens was mounted was tilted down on one side.  Maybe that is why it does not spin  The plastic piece does not seem to move whe it pull it up.  What do you recommend.

Thanks
Gurubandhu

cleggsan
Subject: CD player
Question: Below is the conversation we had before.  I presume you mean "reach under the cover" is to reach in the slot where I load the CDs.  I looked in there with a flashlight and did not see where the optical lens was located.  Is there a schematic where I can see the location?  Or can you guide me by telling me where to aim the Q-tip in the clot?  It holds 5 CDs so it is probably fairly far back and I cannot see much with a flashlight.  When I had the top cover off, I could not see where it was either.  Any suggestions on how I can find the optical lens?

Thank you for your time.
Gurubandhu

cleggsan
Subject: CDs skipping
Question: QUESTION: "I don't know if you know about CD players but will ask anyway.  I have a Teac PD-D2500.  It has 5 5 spaces for CDs that are on a revolving table.  I will play a CD and it skips or stops playing even though the deck is still on,  I have cleaned the disks so it has to be the player.  how can I fix this?

Thank you."

ANSWER: Try cleaning the optical lens.  Do this by using a cotton Q tip by just flicking off the dust and microscopic particles.  Do not use any liquid or cleaning fluids.

But, my suspicion is the laser diode which is buried inside the optical pickup is getting old and weak since this is quite an old model.  The cure is to replace the optical pickup system. Unfortunately, the replacement cost and alignment of the optics will cost quite alot and most owners of cd players have found it more economical to just purchase a new cd player/changer.

Hope this helps you with the right solution.

PS: There are many other possible causes of skipping such as a bad Integrated Circuit that processes the digital information from the disk, mechanical tracking system out of adjustment due to dropping the changer or bumping it, optical focus controls out of adjustment, etc.  But, again, fixing these things require taking the changer to a shop that has the test equipment to do the repairs and adjustments. Unless you are emotionally tied to this changer you might find it more economical to replace it.

QUESTION: Sorry it took so long ot get back to you.  I took the lid off the CD player.  There were cables and wires over the optical lens.  It looks like the lens is underneath but I don't think the lens is facing me.  I think I have to take the whole thing out to clean it.  Is this right?  How can I access the lens?  I also noticed I have a CD cleaner disk in a drawer.  Will this clean the lens or clean it as well as  just a swab?

Thanks

ANSWER: You can try a long reaching q-tip.  A lens cleaning disc may help also but they sometimes don't work so well.  I do not encourage you to dissassemble the mechanism unless you are electronically and mechanically inclined as there is too much danger in damaging the internal parts.

As before, my suspicion is the set needs a replacement of the optical reader head which I guarantee you will cost more than the purchase price of a new cd player.

Best wishes.

QUESTION: Thanks again for the reply.  I already had the bottom off when I contacted you before.  It is a 5 disc changer.  From the bottom, I took the "motherboard" loose and took off the part that turns the changer.  I cannot see the optical  lens from the bottom.  Is it easier to access from the bottm or maybe through the opening in the front where we load discs?  After I find  and clean the lens and it still does not work right, then I will take your advice and look for a different one.

Thank you,
Answer: On some sets you can use a Q tip and reach in under the cover. You can extend the reach of the Q tip by taping another together.

Wishing you the best.
Answer: To clean off the lens you must find it, for sure!

It is the device that reads the digital data on the disc.  It may be far back inside the set.

You can obtain a service manual which would show the location of all the mechanism and how to disassemble for service.  Sometimes you can find the service manual online as a free download but more often you must purchase it at cost (usually around $10 to $20).

Good Luck.
Answer:    You will need the service manual to get an exploded view of the parts and how to test, adjust, etc.  

If the motor is not spinning the disc when in PLAY mode then their are many, many  items that need checked out. For example it could the motor itself is defective; or there is something preventing it from turning; or the electronic servo control system is defective (usually requires replacement of the IC); or could be a power supply problem that prevents power to the drive system - and so on. It will require troubleshooting in all likely hood.

Your comment about the mounting hardware of the optical pickup is easily remedied if you think it has gotten bent somehow you could restore it to the original position and see what that brings but it may require an electronic adjustment for focus and tracking - which requires testing with test disc and oscilloscope for optimal performance.

Wishing you well.

Answer
Adjustment of the optical pickup is very technical and must be done by an expert repair technician who has the tools and instruments to accomplish it.  It is a very delicate operation and you should not attempt it unless you have been trained in the techniques and procedure.

Best wishes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan