TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Problem with PAL to NTSC conversion

I am using an old Sylvania TV with a region-free Phillips DVD/Blu-Ray player.  I also purchased a May Flash brand PAL to NTSC converter.  The problem is that when I play a PAL format DVD, the picture looks like the vertical hold is not set correctly.  The picture rises rapidly and keeps doing it even when paused.  When I eject the disc, the system menu still does not work.  If I put in a different disc, everything goes back to normal.  Do I need a different converter, or is there some other way I can watch the DVD without replacing the TV?

The PalFlash little converter boxes only do not convert for 60Hz tv sets.  I think they require a tv that is on the 50Hz NTSC system.  Or, if the set has a vertical hold adjustment, it can be adjusted to synch in on the 60 Hz interlaced signal.

I think there are other inexpensive converters that do convert all the way to 60hz compatible NTSC sets.

Another problem may be the PAL discs you are using do not come from the PAL countries that are listed as compatible with your device.

One of the MayFash converters that I checked works only with PAL regions B,D,I,G, and H.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if there is more to the story.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio