TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/RCA TV after power outage

My in-laws TV 32 inch HDTV recently had a power outage and when they are trying to set it back up get they get to the language select option and none of the remote buttons seem to activate the selection (Enter, arrow keys etc)  are they missing a step?

You should try again.

If still no setup try unplugging the power cord for a few hours.  This will discharge all the internal voltages allowing the memory cells to restore to factory settings.

If the remote is not the original unit that came with the set that may be the problem.  You may have to try other codes listed for that remote.

And, the language setting is merely for the menu. It is not necessary when just viewing programs - unless the user is annoyed with the language that comes up when changing channels or settings. etc.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio