TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Closed captioning

We have a new model Toshiba TV, model 50L5200U and we can't get closed captioning. We are served by Time Warner. We also have a smaller Toshiba TV, also served by Time Warner, and the CC works fine. We have had numerous service calls to TW, and they have come over twice to no avail. When we press "C.Caption" it says "not available" in red letters. When we go to the caption mode, it indicates that CC1 is active, and we can switch to CC2, CC3, etc. But no CC is visible on screen. The technician came over and explained a complex method to get CC by turning off the TV and pressing numerous buttons and turning the tV on again, but this results in a technicians page and the CC appears, but it is sub-standard. It shouldn't be so complicated, should it? How can we get CC on our TV? Thanks.

I read through the closed caption instructions in the owners manual.  It says that the normal closed caption data that comes from the transmitting station is CC1.  It gives clear instructions on how to turn it on and off and select the other options.

I refer you to the manual pages 80, 81 and 82.

Hope this solves your problem.

PS: You can download the owners manual from by googling for it.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio