TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/DVD player will not work

I have a JVC DR-MV79B DVD/VCR Player/Recorder. The problem is when I load a blank DVD disc or a pre-recorded disc, the unit says "READ" on the machine but then it will open the tray door and says on the TV "Unknown Disc, Please Check Disc Again".  Any idea what the problem could be?

It could be a technical problem requiring a repair or adjustment - which would require taking it in to a JVC authorized service center.

Or, it could be a compatibility issue. The specifications on this model say it will support +/- recordable and re-write formats.  Check the format of the discs that it does not take.  That may be the problem.

Also, this model is getting old and the laser diode which reads the disc content may be getting weak.  If it reads CD music discs just fine but not dvd play or recordables then it is often the laser getting weak.  Why? Because the dvd disc read and write takes quite a bit more energy output from the laser to operate in the dvd mode.  

Hope this helps you find a solution.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio