TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/JVC AV32020 displaying gibberish

Question
The JVC AV32020 is displaying a single line of gibberish (mixed case letters/numbers) at the top and/or bottom of the screen. The TV was purchased on 08/2000 and has not exhibited any other problems with sound,color or display.  Cable box changed out completely three times. The cable box has also been swapped out and is working fine with another television, so it seems an issue with the tv.  Please advise.

Answer
My guess is the vertical deflection amplifier is toast.

The repair requires replacement of the vertical output transistor and perhaps a few other components surrounding this circuit.  

Sets this old are not considered worthy of the investment required to nurse it back to health.  Why?  CRT television sets are now obsolete and they have very little value; you can find good working ones on Craigslist for just a few dollars - some times free.  That would be a less expensive route to go and would not cost a repair bill.

Hope this helps.

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan