TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/SHARP LCD 32SB23U

Question
Hello sir, I have a 40 inch LCD TV, model number referenced above. I came home after a 2 week vacation, turned on the TV, and the power light started flashing green. The cable turned on but no sound or video on the screen. I did a factory reset and then the sound came back on just fine but no picture. The other TV/cable in my house is just fine. This sounds like a broken LCD TV doesnt it? Seems like maybe something blew picture-wise inside the TV. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Michael Bloom

Answer
It's a rather old set so I would not invest any great amount of $$$ in to it.

By the way, if you gave me the right model number it is a 32" not a 40" as you stated.

If you did a factory reset you might need to do a auto channel rescan - which takes a few minutes for the tv to go through all the channels from your cable.  BUT: since you said it had sound that means you are tuned to a channel; so, can you change channels and still get audio on them but no picture?

Maybe best idea is to connect a dvd player or vcr to it. If it has sound and picture then you know the screen/lcd panel is working correctly.  If you are certain the picture is not working then you will probably need a service tech to look at it.  The cause could be a bad display panel or bad board that needs replaced.  In my judgment either of these repairs would be a wise investment due to the high cost of repair.  

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

PS: Just looking through the owners manual:

http://static.compusa.com/pdf/Sharp_LC-32SB23U_Manual.pdf

and saw the secret code reset.  You might investigate that matter if you saw a code question on the screen at any time. Go to page 30 of the above manual.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan