TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/detecting tv noise from neighbours

Hi, My nephew's neighbours in the flat below his bedroom have set a TV to come on after midnight in short bursts (loud then fading)every hour till 7am - just loud enough to wake him up each time.  They have a history of this apparently, but we need proof for the landlord to act.  So, is there a way or device (eg. spectrum analyser? ... though not sure what it does) for detecting and proving when, where and how this noise is coming from.
Many thanks for your time and help, Neil

There are many approaches one might take.

The above page offers many different types of sound loggers.

There are also, you can find on google search, software systems that you can run on your pc that will record the sounds and time of start and finish.

Also, there are sound level meters to measure the audio level.  They are available for relatively low cost.

Keep looking around and I am sure you can find a recording/logger system that will meet your application and budget targets.

Hope this helps.

PS:  Spectrum analyzer is not necessary for this application.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio