TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Toshiba Projection TV problems

Question
Lost Without You
Lost Without You  
QUESTION: My Toshiba Model# TP48E60 will turn on and it has a problem receiving cable TV signal. I unplugged it for several days and it tried to turn on but failed. Please help. It is a good television and has sentimental value.

ANSWER: You offer no symptoms so I can only make wild guesses what may be wrong with it.

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/tp48e60/

A common problem with all RPTV as they get older is failure of the convergence circuitry.  The above repair kit is an example of such a repair scenario.

If you need more, answer these questions so I can guide you more precisely:

- Do you get sound?
- Does the screen have raster lines but no video?
- Will it show anything at all on the screen?
- Does it give clicking sound when you turn it on or off?

Any other observations will help us determine what needs to be investigated.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Will not turn on...The screen had raster lines on the screen when it did show in TV mode. But it operated good in VIDEO mode. A red LED is flashing on the front panel but now no audio or video. I unplugged it for several days and still no results

Answer
Since it had a raster and operated in video mode it seems to have been working ok. Now it will not come on at all?  Flashing red light usually points to a bad power supply or that the set has gone into protection mode (a failure of main circuits such as the power supply.)

However, one of the common causes of power supply failure in RPTV sets is a bad convergence circuit as mentioned previously.

Since the set is quite old I suggest you might expect a repair that is quite expensive; over $300 for parts and labor if you have to call in the experts.

So, in conclusion the failure could be either the main power supply, and/or the convergence circuit, and/or the high voltage and horizontal deflection amplifier.  All of them are expensive repairs.

Hope this helps you find a solution.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan