TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Toshiba Theaterview T.V. 50 in.

I,m guessing about 10 years old. There is a EDS setting that puts a black box over 90% of the screen when it is set to off. I tried pushing the button on the remote to on but it only stays for about 30 seconds & shuts off again. I tried unplugging it, hitting reset, going into set up menu and can't find anything that keeps it on?

I am not sure what you have because you did not give the model number.

My guess is you must turn off the CC (closed caption) feature.  Try that and see if it helps.

The black box is a result of the cc malfunctioning or working improperly.

If still the set will not stay ON, it may need servicing of the power supply, the convergence circuit or the main board somewhere  - which is usually $$$ expensive.

Let me know if you need more.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio