TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/akai pt5492

While watching a program on the above TV I heard a loud POP sound and the screen went blank.  Now when I plug in the TV the red timer light stays on but cannot power up the TV.  Any suggestions?

That model is famous for failure of the convergence circuits.  The repair kit for that function loss is found here:

But I don't think that is the problem.  The pop may very well have been an electrolytic capacitor in the power supply exploding.  They do that sometimes. Then if it shorted out it would cause failure of that portion of the main power supply.  It would be wise to have it diagnosed by a tech who knows the best way to analyze and repair.  Cost of replacement part is not much; a few dollars, but the labor is a bunch because the old part is time consuming to rip out and replace.

However, this is an old set and not worthy of a big repair bill - in my opinion.  You may wish, after determining the cost or repairs, to consider  a new flat LCD or Plasma flat screen.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio