TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/akai pt5492

Question
While watching a program on the above TV I heard a loud POP sound and the screen went blank.  Now when I plug in the TV the red timer light stays on but cannot power up the TV.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

Answer
That model is famous for failure of the convergence circuits.  The repair kit for that function loss is found here:

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/samsung-akai-pt5492-and-pt5492s-convergence-re

But I don't think that is the problem.  The pop may very well have been an electrolytic capacitor in the power supply exploding.  They do that sometimes. Then if it shorted out it would cause failure of that portion of the main power supply.  It would be wise to have it diagnosed by a tech who knows the best way to analyze and repair.  Cost of replacement part is not much; a few dollars, but the labor is a bunch because the old part is time consuming to rip out and replace.

However, this is an old set and not worthy of a big repair bill - in my opinion.  You may wish, after determining the cost or repairs, to consider  a new flat LCD or Plasma flat screen.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan