TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/eject problems with vcr/dvd combo

Question
My Sylvania dvd/cd player with video cassette recorder,Model DVC841G, has recently had trouble ejecting the vcr tape. The VCR cassette comes out, but leaves the tape still looped on a spindle,to be unlooped using a wooden orangewood stick. I then rewind the dangling tape by hand. It does not do this every time, and sometimes I can push the tape back in and re-eject it successfully. I think I got this unit in 2007, maybe earlier. No other problems.  I tried using a scotch vcr cleaner cassette, but it didn't solve the problem. I just sprayed the inside with canned air, and cleaned off the spindles with a q-tip doused in alcohol. Not sure yet if that worked. Please let me know if you can diagnose the problem and provide a solution. All I really need is a unit that I can program  to record my regular tv shows,not necessarily a vcr, maybe a dvd recorder, but nothing is on the market with a tuner anymore. Not sure what will work on my cable tv provider if I don't have a cable box with tuner. I don't have tivo. One other question: Ever since I attached this unit to my new HD TV it needs the volume turned all the way up to hear the vcr tapes or dvd movies--can this be corrected? It worked fine with my old analog Magnavox tv. I appreciate any suggestions and help.  Thanks.

Answer
Sylvania brand is low level in quality and performance.

It is not intended that the lower cost units are to be repaired because the repairs are always more costly than purchasing a new machine - and yours certainly needs repair on both accounts that you have expressed.

So, I suggest you go to Walmart or Bestbuy and just buy a new machine.  Yours had done its job and its useful life is expended, sorry to say.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan