TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Male rca a/v jacks to usb

I have a older Sony ccd-trv46-ntsc Hi8 (super 8 tape) video recorder. Although I own other digital camcorders I love this camera but you can well imagine the tapes are hard to find. It has an RCA female Video out and a RCA female audio out. I looked on line and there are adapters that have RCA males to UBS connection. My laptop has a built in camera so I know that it can display and record A/V.

My question is, can I run the camera from the RCA into the computer and be able to record without the worry of ever having to locate a suoper 8 tape again???. Wouldn't the camera be just like an over grown webcam? If so, I could record directly to the laptop by only turning the camera on and not even have to touch the record button on the camera, just click the record icon on the PC.

Before I purchase the cable I would like to know if this arrangement would even work - that is, would it record? I could not find a digital camcorder categroy so I thought that you may know. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks from a fellow All Experts expert.

Unfortunately, 8mm video is in a different format than digital video processing.  Therefore, the output of your Super8 camera must go through a converter before the signal is compatible.

I don't know if the Wolverine f2d box will do it or not but you could dialog with them to see if it will support a real-time conversion.  These boxes cost around $100 plus or minus.

And, there may be a possibility of recording directly through the cable to store it on the pc and convert it via software installed on the pc but I don't know much about that proposition.

But, in the end, the film format must be scanned and converted to a digital format.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio