TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/samsung LCD 1080 HD

Question
tv picture
tv picture  
How long does a LCD tv normally last?   The none that I have is approximately 10 Years old.  I am having problems with the picture clarity.  The screen is showing   several vertical barriers with what looks like tiny pixels going horizontally aside of lettering or images in between the  vertical  barriers. I have Direct TV for my hookup and they were back several times to resolve the problem to no avail.  Just about all their equipment was replaced new. there assessment was the TV was on the way out.  Would this be your opinion.  When it first started with this problem  about two months ago, I would turn on the TV and get the problem as described after being on for approximately 15 minutes the problem would go away.  then it would get progressively worse as time went by.   Now the problem does not go away at all.
i

Answer
As a general rule, not to be taken as a scientific altruism, is that many market studies have been accomplished by set makers and find that consumers replace their tv sets about every 7 to 8 years; longer for the more expensive RPTV sets.  So, they have designed  the sets to keep working for at least that length of time.  However, each set maker has their own internal rule.  And, further, certain internal parts of a tv may last much longer than the period spoken of herein.

So, your set may very well be reaching its end of life - or some part(s) inside maybe is a goner.  Often we find that once a set has a major malfunction that it is only time before other parts may be reaching the same point of exhaustion.  So, we find most of the time it is a self defeating decision to keep repairing old sets as the investment in a series of repairs often is greater than the worth of applying that money towards a new set.  And, prices have come way down during the last few years.

You might get a chuckle out of this youtube, but it points to problems like yours.  While yours may not be in the display category it is my guess that the display itself is at the center of the problem.  And, replacing them is cost prohibitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykPsV2voYU

The example in the video clip is a Plasma but the same thing can sometimes work for LCD panels.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan